The PCCV Project:
Benchmarking Vision Systems
Our image file format
HATE test harness
Linux on ThinkPad
The Software is grouped into the following categories
synthetic data generators,
of Skin-Cancer Images Implementation of an algorithm for
segmenting images of skin cancer and other pigmented lesions (see
Image and Vision Computing, January 1999, pp. 65-74).
automatic method for segmention of images of skin cancer and other
pigmented lesions is implemented. This method first reduces a color
image into an intensity image and approximately segments the image by
intensity thresholding. Then, it refines the segmentation using image
edges. Double thresholding is used to focus on an image area where a
lesion boundary potentially exists. Image edges are then used to
localize the boundary in that area. A closed elastic curve is fitted
to the initial boundary and is locally shrunk or expanded to
approximate edges in its neighborhood in the area of
focus. Segmentation results from twenty randomly selected images show
an average error that is about the same as that obtained by four
experts manually segmenting the images.
L. Xu, M. Jackowski, A. Goshtasby, C. Yu, D. Roseman, S. Bines,
A. Dhawan, A. Huntley / Intelligent
Systems Laboratory / Wright
- The FreeImage
Library at Sourceforge
- Demo of a commercial package.
- FP Image - View/Process
Floating Point and integer images in Windows 95/98/NT. Formats include DICOM
and user defined formats. Includes a image processing scripting language.
- FP Image for Windows
- Scientific/Medical imaging software. Formats include floating point,
integer and DICOM. Built-in image processing scripting language, batch processing,
3D solid modeling. ( FP Image)
- FreeImage - FreeImage
is an Open Source project for developers who would like to support popular
graphics image formats like BMP, JPEG, TIFF, PNG, RAS, PNM, PCX, TGA in their
C++ applications for Windows. (by Floris van den Berg, Hervé Drolon)
- GD - a graphics library for GIF creation
- provides GIF read/write code in a C library. It also provides minimal
image manipulation functions (lines, arcs, text, colors). Includes versions
for Unix and Windows systems. (by Thomas Boutell / Boutell.Com)
- Ghostscript and ghostview
- PostScript previewer and pretty user interface for X11.
MSDOS Ghostscript and supplemental font files are also available.
- GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP)
- Photoshop-style image editor.
- Load, display, process, save, and convert images in many formats. Works
on Unix, Linux, Windows, and Mac. Includes a display program, a converter,
screen capture, animator, and more.
- Imaging Primer
- Interactive and comprehensive images analysis and processing software for windows95 (commercial product). (by Pepi Cima / Rio Grande Software)
- Library source code and simple display tools.
- OpenGL implementation.
- MPEG-1 player and encoder
Also: FAQ and fancy VCR-like interface using Motif.
- NIH Image
- for Macintosh
- Library source code and tools
- Volumetric Image Display and Analysis (VIDA)
- Demo of a commercial package.
- X11 display tool.
Supports many animation and image formats ("everything" except mpeg). Notes on integrating xanim with Web clients/MIME are also available.
- X11 display tool.
Not as featureful as xv but it understands nearly all the same formats and displays images much more quickly. Source archive is available.
- X11 Image Display tool.
Provides an amazing assortment of image operators, reads and writes images in many different formats.
- Emulation of SGI GL library for X11.
- CGAL - Computational Geometry Algorithms Library
- C++ library of geometric primitives and standard data structures and algorithms used in computational geometry.
The CGAL project is a collaborative effort to develop a robust, easy to
use, and efficient C++ software library of geometric data structures and
algorithms. The CGAL library contains: - Basic geometric primitives such
as points, vectors, lines, predicates such as for relative positions of points,
and operations such as intersections and distance calculation. - A collection
of standard data structures and geometric algorithms, such as convex hull,
(Delaunay) triangulation, planar map, polyhedron, smallest enclosing sphere,
and multidimensional query structures. - Interfaces to other packages, e.g.
for visualisation, and I/O, and other support facilities. For further information
and for downloading the library and documentation, please visit the CGAL
web page: http://www.cs.uu.nl/CGAL/ Should you have any questions or comments,
please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org ( CGAL Consortium)
- Public domain collection of mathematical software, papers, and databases.
Mostly in Fortran, but f2c (included in netlib) converts Fortran to C.
- Numerical Recipies
- Public Domain code for the famous book (only some of the code is public domain).
- Reviver - A Practical Provable Surface Reconstructor
- Free software that takes unorganised point clouds as input and produces
3D models automatically in various industry standard formats (runs on Unix
- Statistical software, datasets, and information.
Camera Calibration Routines for calibrating using Roger
Tsai's perspective projection camera model. (by Reg
Willson / CMU)
Analysis of Images This java-based application estimates
the disparity between two images. It works by first detecting
remarkable points in both images and then finding the best possible
match between the two sets of points. (by Lionel Le Briquer)
Maximum-Flow Stereo Algorithm Code for the maximum-flow
formulation of the N camera stereo correspondence problem.
(by Sebastien Roy / Université de Montréal)
Microsoft Easy Camera Calibration Tool a flexible camera
calibration technique, which only requires the camera to observe a
planar pattern shown at a few (at least two) different (unknown)
Zhang / Vision
Technology Group / Microsoft
Projective Vision Toolkit PVT is a series of utilities
that allows one to take an image sequence and compute the fundamental
matrix and trilinear tensor.
This can be used for such problems
as camera self-calibration, structure from motion, camera motion
annotation, image stabilization, 3D tracking and recognition, etc.
(Computational Video Group of NRC)
Stereo Engine Software - fast stereo software for PCs. It
performs disparity calculations and filtering in real time on images
up to 320x240 in size.
( SRI Artificial Intelligence
Center / SRI International)
Uncalibrated Stereo by Singular Value Decomposition This
stereo algorithm allows to match features across a pair of stereo
images with unparalleled algorithmic simplicity and neatness. Results
are comparable to complex relaxation methods. Its simple
implementation has made it a good off-the-shelf solution for a number
of researchers needing a fast a easy-to-integrate matching module.
Maurizio Pilu / Hewlett Packard Research Laboratories)
Synthetic Data Generators
- MESHBASE Intelligent 3D modeling program for Windows
- An intelligent 3D modeling program for Windows platform. It provides
true WYSIWYG and WYDSIWYDG easy editing environment. (30 day trial) (by Sean Kung / Modelsoft, Inc.)
- Persistence of Vision
- Ray Tracer.
- Philip Torr's stereo vision code
- routines to generate synthetic data for testing and evaluating fundamental matrix estimation algorithms (by Philip Torr / Machine Learning and Perception Group / Microsoft)
- Ray tracer
Produces floating point photometrically accurate images, with emphasis on good light source modeling.
- Random dot stereogram generator
- For X11.
Includes support for animations and user-defined objects. More stereograms are also available.
- Ray Tracers
- A nice summary of free ray tracers. (by Eric Haines)
Rayshade - Ray tracing renderer.
Generates realistic 2D
images from a text description of a 3D world. Supports texture
mapping, surface ("heightfield") rendering, multiple light sources,
defocus, animation and more. Range
image output extension and
documentation are also available.
- Synthetic Fingerprint Generator
- SFinGe is a novel method for the generation of synthetic fingerprint images ("sfinge" is the Italian for "sphinx").
Gabor-like space-variant filters are used for iteratively expanding an
initially empty image containing just one or a few seeds. A directional image
model, whose inputs are the number and location of the fingerprint cores
and deltas, is used for tuning the filters. Very-realistic fingerprint images
are obtained after the final noising-and-rendering stage. ( Biometric Systems Lab / University of Bologna)
MeasTex A framework for quantitative measurement of image
texture classification algorithms.
Gandalf is a computer vision and numerical algorithm
library, written in C, which allows you to develop new applications
that will be portable and run FAST. Includes many useful vision
routines, including camera calibration, homographies, fundamental
matrix computation, and feature detectors (includes source code).
Dynamically reconfigurable vector, matrix and image structures in
Gandalf allow efficient use of memory. Gandalf has been used to
develop the "MoKey" motion editing software, released at IBC'2001 in
Amsterdam. MoKey performs automatic inpainting of moving objects over
an image sequence, and can also be used to compute an accurate alpha
matte or outline of an object. Gandalf currently contains four
packages: 1) Common package of simple structures and routines used by
the other packages, such as memory allocation, linked lists and error
handling; 2) Linear algebra package with a large number of routines
for matrix and vector manipulations; 3) Image package defining a
general purpose image structure and low-level image manipulation
routines; 4) Vision package containing a number of standard image
processing, computer vision and numerical routines. The major design
features of Gandalf are: (i) Efficient use of memory through
dynamically reconfigurable structures; (ii) Emphasis on support of
numerical algorithms, especially optimisation; (iii) A very flexible
and efficient internal image representation, (iv) A comprehensive set
of matrix/vector operations, incorporating implicit matrix transpose
& inverse, and in-place computation where appropriate;
Exploitation of the computational and compilation speed advantages of
C over C++ in reducing the number of layers of abstraction over the
raw data, an approach we believe is appropriate for simple objects
such as matrices, vectors and images. The documentation for Gandalf
comes in two parts. There is a LaTex tutorial with examples available
also in HTML (via Latex2html). Reference documentation for Gandalf has
also been generated using ObjectOutline, ( by Philip McLauchlan)
- Intel Open
Source Computer Vision Library Computer vision routines,
applications and tutorials. Open Source, FREE for academic AND
commercial use. Assembly language optimized on Intel's processor line.
Areas covered are Geometric Methods, Recognition, Image Pyramids
Camera Calibration, Tracking, and Fitting.
(by Vadim Pisarevsky, Dmitry Abrosimov , Jean-Yves Bouguet , Gary
R. Bradski , Valery Cherepennikov , Michael Chu , Boris Chudinovich ,
Prof. Trevor , Bob Davies , Prof. James Davis , Victor Eroukhimov ,
Prof. Irfan Essa , Radek Grzeszczuk , Mark Holler , Prof. Jitendra
Malik , Sergey Molinov , Valery Mosyagin , Ara Nefian , Sergey Oblomov
, Prof. Pietro Perona , Vadim Pisarevsky, Alexander Pleskov, Chuck
Richards, Prof. Stan Scarloff, Stewart Taylor, Prof. Carlo Tomasi /
Visual Interactivity Lab / Intel Corporation)
University of Calgary vision software Includes chain code,
Hough transform, and others.
- VXL - C++ libraries
for Computer Vision The Vision-something-Libraries are a
collection of C++ libraries designed for computer vision research. It
was created from TargetJr and the Image Understanding Environment
(IUE) with the aim of making a lighter, faster and more consistent
system. VXL is written in ANSI/ISO C++ and is designed to be portable
over many platforms. It is developed and used by a consortium
including groups from the Universities of Leuven, Oxford, Manchester,
and RPI, GE CRD.
( VXL Consortium)
- A real-time image acquisition and processing product. (Commercial product $$).
The product includes a COM (Component Object Model) component, which allows
developers to create powerful imaging applications quickly and easily using
COM supported languages such as C++ and Visual Basic. The AcquireNow package
include the AcquireNowClient application. AcquireNowClient is a stand-alone
application, which can be used to acquire, display, and save images to disk.
The AcquireNowClient application also allows the user to perform real time
image averaging, scaling and flat fielding. Source code for the AcquireNowClient
application is included, and can be used by customers as a base for their
own imaging applications. ( Boulder Imaging, Inc.)
- PC-based image processing without the need of extensive programming knowledge
The following image processing functions are realized as DLLs. The complete
C source code of these DLLs is part of the standard pack. Point, local and
global, morphological operations Texture, image sequence Histograms procedures
Hough and color transformations Automatic counting and interactive measuring
Pattern recognition, graylevel profile General purpose and display functions
( The Imaging Source)
- Aphelion - Commercial
image processing and understanding package for Windows. Features a rapid
prototyping environment, image processing and object recognition libraries,
and a vision tutorial.
Aphelion is a commercial software product which can be used to quickly
develop vertical imaging applications. It is a comprehensive and powerful
development environment and a delivery vehicle for image-based applications,
including a Graphical User Interface, Image Processing libraries available
as DLLs or ActiveX components, a Visual Basic compatible scripting language,
a chart server, etc. Aphelion provides the very latest developments in mathematical
morphology and symbolic representation/recognition, as well as effective
tools for quantitative analysis, microscopy, pattern recognition, and classification.
(by Bruno Lay / Amerinex Applied Imaging Inc.)
- AutoTrace converts bitmap to vector graphics (by Martin Weber)
- Bersoft Image Measurement
- Measure length, angle, segments, perimeter and area in digital images. Commercial package for windows.
Bersoft Image Measurement runs under Windows 9.x/NT and it is intended
to measure length, angle, segments, perimeter and area in digital images.
It can be used in multiple scientific disciplines, such as Biology, Ecology,
Geography, Agronomy, and Natural Sciences. It also can export matrixes (Exporting
RGB values) with the decimal or hexadecimal values of the image pixels. The
DEMO version can realize all the functions, but only over images saved in
a propietary format: Image Bersoft Bitmap (bim extension). ( Bersoft)
- Clemex Vision
- Commercial software for analysis of images from microscopes.
- Color Reduction and Multithresholding
- Free image processing software for color reduction and quantization, multithresholding, Hough Transform etc. (Image and Multimedia Laboratory / Democritus University of Thrace, Greece)
- Common Vision Blox
- A modular and open software development platform to solve image processing
and machine vision applications (Windows, Commercial product) ( Stemmer Imaging GmbH)
- Computer Vision Workshop
- An image analysis tool based on the Vista software environment
- C++ image processing library.
- GUI-based computer vision and image processing tools, ANSI-C source code
and libraries for Windows95/NT and UNIX, extended computer imaging TCL shell.
Also contains an extended Tcl shell with all the computer imaging functions.
ANSI-C source code and libraries for image analysis, image compression, image
enhancement, image restoration, and many imaging utilities. Used for both
research and education, as well as applications development. (by Scott E Umbaugh, Greg Hance, Arve Kjoelen, Kun Luo, Mark Zuke, Yansheng Wei and others / CVIP Group / Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville)
- DTU Image Viewer and Analyser
- The DIVA consists of a number of image analysis functions collected in
C++ template image classes and a windows interface, which handles a wide
variety of different image file formats and pixel types. Everything is available
as source code. (Section for Image Analysis / Technical University of Denmark)
- Commercial image processing and analysis toolkit for use in industrial
applications on Windows platforms. There is also a rapid prototyping development
environment called EasyAccess.
eVision provides all familiar tools in image processing such as image linear
and morphological filtering, projections, profiles, geometric transforms,
color conversions, blob analysis, pattern matching as well as application
libraries such as OCR, matrix code reading, mark inspection. These tools
are provided in a form well suited for rapid application development and
are extremely fast. ( Euresys)
- Exbem: Scientific Image Processing & Analysis
- Exbem is a software for scientific image processing & analysis under
MacOS. Exbem handles images, QuickTime movies, and live-video. Multiple operators
can be assigned to multiple ROIs. ( Pixlock e.K. (company))
- Graphics Gems
- Generally useful graphics and image processing subroutines from the similarly-named books.
- Geographic Information System
- HALCON - a commercial
computer vision tool consisting of an image processing library, C and C++
interfaces, and a rapid prototyping tool called HDevelop.
HALCON is manufactured by MVTec, which is a spin-off of the Technische
Universität München and the Bavarian Research Center for Knowledge Based
Systems (FORWISS). The company is specialized in software solutions for image
processing using standard hardware and framegrabbers. HALCON covers a wide
field of applications like factory automation, quality control, medical image
analysis, aerial image analyis, surveillance, research, and education. ( MVTec Software GmbH)
- General Unix-based Image Processing System with C source code (Commercial package $$)
HIPS is a software package for image processing that runs under the UNIX
operating system. HIPS is modular and flexible, it provides automatic documentation
of its actions, and is almost entirely independents of special equipment.
It handles sequences of images (movies) in precisely the same manner as single
frames. Over 200 such image transformation programs have been developed.
HIPS is written in C, provided as source code, and is both a set of separate
programs as well as a callable library. (by Michael S. Landy)
- ILIB Imaging Libraries
- commercial package of image processing libraries for the Windows environment
(C/C++ interface). It also includes neural and genetic imaging capabilities.
- Image Processing Library
- The main purpose of Image Processing Library (IPL) is to simplify image processing under Windows environment. ( Medical Imaging Lab)
- Image Processing Library 98
- A platform independent image manipulating C/C++ library
The purpose of the library is to be useful, for combining tailor-made image
processing and interpretation with standard methods for acquisitions, processing,
display and storage of image information. Emphasis is put on interactivity
in projects made by students, as well as for advanced research and development.
(by Ivar Balslev and René Dencker / The Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller Institute for Production Technology / University of Southern Denmark, Odense University)
- Image-Pro Plus
- Commercial image analysis software used in biological and industrial microscopy applications.
- An Image Processing C++ Class Library (template based)
ImageLib is a C++ class library providing image processing and related
facilities. The main set of classes provides a variety of image and vector
types, with additional modules supporting scalar and vector quantisation,
wavelet transforms, DCT transforms, and simple histogram operations. (by Brendt Wohlberg / University of Cape Town)
- IMAQ Vision
- Adds machine vision and image processing functionality to LabVIEW and ActiveX containers (National Instruments)
- ImgStar Image Processing Tools
- Complements Pbmplus with edge detection, high/low/band-pass filters, thresholding, etc. (by Simon Winder)
- ImLib3D is an open source C++ library for 3D (volumetric) image processing.
It comes with an optional viewer that features 3D (OpenGL) multiplanar.
Templated: ImLib3D images are STL-like templated containers. This means
you can create images of arbitrary types (examples: float, int, complex,
3D vectors for deformation fields, ...) Iterators: ImLib3D provides STL-like
iterators for moving around images. This provides a much faster, more efficient
and easier to use framework. This also provides a common simple syntax for
moving around images in special ways, like in masked images or rectangular
sub-zones in an image. Speed: ImLib3D is very fast. Iterators hide all the
gory details of making it fast. Command line: All image processing operators
can be called from the unix command line. This is, with the viewer, important
for easy image processing experimentation. Fast BSpline interpolation (thanks
to Unser et all.) Rigid, affine, deformable registration (thanks to O.Musse)
Very fast fft (thanks to fftw) Image processing (arithmetic,convolution,morphological
operations...) 3D image viewer. (by Marcel Bosc, Torbjorn Vik / LSIIT/IPB ULP Strasbourg France)
- Intel Image Processing Library
- Optimized assembly MMX code for image processing, pattern recognition,
signal processing, and matrix manipulation (no source - but still free) ( Performance Library Suite / Intel Corporation)
- Interactive Data Language (IDL)
- IDL is a development environment for data visualization, 2D and 3D graphics, and image processing.
- Freeware image processing toolkit for Windows
- Khoros - An integrated
software environment for data exploration and visualization, visual programming
and simulation, and sofware development.
- LEADTOOLS Imaging Development Toolkit
- commercial toolkit that supports loading, saving, converting, and processing
of color, greyscale, and document images - Windows-based
commercial toolkit that
( LEAD Technologies, Inc.)
- LookingGlass Real-time ImageProcessing System
- multithreaded PC-based image proccessing environment that supports realtime video processing.
LookingGlass is an Image Processing Environment for developing imaging
applications and for research and development of new image system. LookingGlass
supports real-time live video processing from VideoForWindow compatible device,
and also supports BMP, JPG, GIF89 and AVI or user can write a dll to support
other vdo format or image acquisition device. LookingGlass can produce AVI
file, sequence of BMP or JPG files, or just display images to screen, or
users can write a dll to do what ever output they want. LookingGlass is derived
from RobotVision2(http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/psksvp/rv2.htm), so LookingGlass
uses the pipeline idea and support using the same IP-DLL as RobotVision2.
- Matlab Pyramid Tools
- MatLab tools for multi-scale (pyramid) image decomposition.
This includes Laplacian pyramids, QMFs/wavelets, and steerable pyramids
as well as fast convolution routines, histogram tools, and synthetic image
- Matrox Imaging
- Matrox Imaging Library (MIL) is a development toolkit for machine vision,
medical imaging and image analysis. ActiveMIL, a collection of ActiveX controls
for managing image capture, transfer, processing, analysis and display is
bundled with MIL. Additional software includes Matrox Inspector, an interactive
Microsoft® Windows®-based prototyping tool and an intelligent camera interface
- Microsoft Vision SDK
- Visual C++ library for vision which defines an image object and supports digitizer independent image acquisition.
- Multi-Threaded Image Processing
- commercial Image Processing Environment with ISO12087 based "drag and
drop" modules and a powerful API for C,C++ programming of own modules. ( Dynamic Imaging AS)
- NeatVision: An Image Analysis & Software Development Environment
- NeatVision is a Java based image analysis and software development environment.
It provides high level access to a wide range of machine vision algorithms
through a well defined and easy to use graphical interface. NeatVision is
distributed as a shareware product.
NeatVision contains over 200 image and general data processing algorithms.
Users can extend the core NeatVision library using the developers interface,
a plug-in which features, automatic source code generation, compilation with
full error feedback and dynamic algorithm updates. The Developers interface
supports algorithm development based on Java AWT Imaging, Java 2D Imaging
and Java Advanced Imaging. NeatVision is primarily an image processing application
and offers an extensive range of image analysis and visualisation tools (these
include zoom, pseudo colour, intensity scan, histogram and 3D profile mesh).
In addition, the ability to read and write a wide range of image file formats
is supported. ( Vision Systems Laboratory / Dublin City University)
- Commercial Windows-based image processing system for automatic presence
verification, bar and DataMatrix code reading, character and pattern recognition,
robot guidance and gauging.
is the complete framework for configuring and operating industrial visual
quality control systems. Its powerful graphical tools enable the user to
easily develop solutions within a familiar Windows - based environment to
achieve rapid system integration into production line processes. ( DS GmbH)
- A 3-D shape from contour package.
- Optimas: Analytical Imaging
- Complete commercial image-analysis program for Windows used in biological and industrial measurement environments.
Optimas implements hundreds of measurement, image processing, and image
management operations, all available from the graphical user interface. Optimas
is designed for the imaging professional who needs the ability to prototype
and quickly develop custom imaging solutions, and therefore includes an integrated
development environment enabling one to record, edit, and debug macros. It
is being used the world over to develop cutting-edge solutions to imaging
problems. An Automation Server and Client (formerly known as "OLE Automation")
Optimas also allows itself to be controlled via VB or any Automation Client,
and conversely can control Excel or any Automation Server via an elegant
syntax. Help is richly linked and context-sensitive. ( Media Cybernetics)
- Image manipulation toolkit.
This is the standard toolkit for Unix, it converts between dozens of formats. A version with many more features called NetPBM is also available, but may not be as easy to install. Some NetPBM patches are available.
- Perl Data Language
- An extension to perl that implements fast, compact manipulation of large,
N-dimensional data arrays for scientific computing and image processing.
- PiXCL and geoPiXCL
- A commercial image processing scripting language and Win9x/NT/2000 EXE
builder for TWAIN scanner and digital camera image sources. geoPiXCL adds
geographic imagery extensions. IP and geo library APIs are available. (by Stewart DIBBS)
- real-time image processing software that uses any VideoForWindow(VFW) compatible camera as the image source (by Pong Suvan / Northeastern University)
- RobotVisionCAD(RvCAD) is an Image Processing Environment for developing
imaging applications and for research and development of new image system.
RobotVisionCAD(RvCAD) is an Image Processing Environment for developing
imaging applications and for research and development of new image system.
RvCAD supports real-time live video processing from VideoForWindow compatible
device, and also supports BMP, JPG, GIF89 and AVI or user can write a dll
to support other vdo format or image acquisition device. RvCAD can also produce
AVI file, sequence of BMP or JPG files, or just display images to screen,
or users can write a dll to output images to whatever device they'd like.
RvCAD is similar to an electonic logic gate simulation Program. Users drag
and drop RvCadProcessor components from the left tree view then connect them
together to build an ImageProcessing pipeline. (by pong suvan)
- SDC Morphology Toolbox for Matlab
- Matlab add-on: Gray-scale morphological tools for image segmentation,
non-linear filtering, pattern recognition and image analysis: watershed,
Euclidean distance transform, top-hat, reconstruction. (many real-life demonstrations)
- SpikeNet Technology
- (Company) Vendor of SpikeNet, a biologically-inspired computer vision
system for object detection, recognition, and related applications. (by Simon Thorpe / Centre de Recherche Cerveau & Cognition)
- The Delft Scientific Image Processing Library
- DIPlib is a scientific image processing library written in C. It contains
a large number of functions for processing and analysing multi dimensional
The library provides functions for performing transforms, filter operations,
object generation, and statistical analysis of images. (by Michael van Ginkel, Geert van Kempen, Cris Luengo Hendriks, Lucas
van Vliet Geert van Kempen Cris Luengo Hendriks Lucas van Vliet / Pattern Recognition Group / Delft University of Technology)
- The Image Processing Tool Kit
- Comprehensive set of image processing and analysis routines in the form
of Photoshop-compatible plug-ins for Mac and PC, with extensive tutorial.
(commercial package $$) (by Chris Russ, John Russ)
- A set of vision algorithm development libraries written in C
TINA is the result of over 50 man years of vision research. It is a set
of libraries providing many levels of infrastructure for people wishing to
develop vision algorithms. It contains a vast array of code from image
reading and writing to depth estimation from stereo pairs. TINA is used as
an on-going research tool by several vision research groups in the UK. It
is written in C and has been compiled on many UNIX platforms including Sun
workstations, HP workstations and PCs running Linux flavours. It requires
only the basic UNIX system, a current gcc compiler and the X graphics libraries.
- USB camera driver toolkit for LabVIEW
- USB cameras and video capture devices are now included in the LabVIEW programming world.
INVENTvisionVFW 1.0 gives you the power to view and capture any VFW (Video
For Windows) video devices in any programming language that can interface
to activex technology. INVENTvisionVFW can be implemented in VB, VC++, G
(LabVIEW) programming environments. This mean that USB cameras and video
capture devices are now included in the LabVIEW programming world. This product
integrates and works with LabVIEW Picture Control and IMAQ. A real-time overlay
is display on the activex control placed on the LabVIEW front Panel. Images
can be captured to a 2D Array[U32], Visual Basic Picturebox, LabVIEW Picture
Control or IMAQ Image. Images can be loaded from and saved to disk in BMP
and JPG formats. (by George Miles / INVENTeering)
- Utah Raster Toolkit
- UNIX commands and C libraries for an 8 bits/pixel, 1-255 channel image format.
Contains a nice display tool for X11; it's fast, supports animation and zooms in on any image. Wes Barris' URT extensions are quite useful too.
- UTHSCSA ImageTool
- free image processing and analysis program for windows.
- VASARI Image Processing Software
- An optimised library in C/C++ running on Unix. Its strengths are handling
high-resolution images and colour spaces. Automatically parallel on SMP systems.
( Intelligence Agents and Multimedia Research Group (IAM) / University of Southampton, UK)
- Video OCX - Windows-based
interface for easy integration of video capture into your applications. It
supports VFW video devices (USB cameras or framegrabber) AND AVI sequences
as image sources. ( vision pearls GbR)
- A flexible library of C-routines, command-line filters, and Motif widgets for image representation and manipulation.
- Tcl/Tk toolkit for visualization and interactive segmentation of 2D gray-scale images
- Visus Imaging
- Image analysis toolkit and complete systems aimed at researchers and
microscopists in Biomedical and Material Sciences. (commercial product $$)
- Visual programming environment for image processing (demo).
- Commercial Windows NT software toolkit for machine vision and thermal imaging applications. ( FSI Automation)
- XMegaWave, an Image Processing Environment
- a freeware graphical windows environment oriented towards image processing,
where the user can create his own function in a very easy way.
Some european universities have developed a freeware image processing environment,
named XMegaWave (XMW). It runs on Unix workstations or Linux machines, running
Motif and X11 windows libraries. XMW includes some classical procedures for
image processing (edge detection, segmentation, morphological filters). But
the important thing is that XMW is also a programming library, where the
user can implement his own image processing algorythm in C in a very very
very easy way. The time needed to write the code and debug it is very short,
so you can obtain results rapidly. Besides, XMW is a pedagogic tool suitable
for using in image processing classes. It can be explained in just one class,
and the students can easily implement any kind of image filter. (Image Mathematical Analysys Group (AMI) / University Las Palmas )
Check Eero's home page for a tar file.
- commercial package for recognizing license plates (Adaptive Recognition Hungary)
- Grabbo: vision-based MIDI controller
- Grabbo uses orientation histograms for realtime image matching and 3D
interpolation. MIDI output. Free demo version for BeOS. (Tebo Software)
- IEEE-1394 Digital Camera Windows Driver
- Windows device driver and C/C++ software library for IEEE-1394 digital cameras.
The web site also contains a demo program, documentation, example images,
links, and other information. IEEE-1394 digital cameras are an ideal solution
for acquiring high quality images with a regular laptop computer. (by Iwan Ulrich / Mobile Robot Programming Lab / Carnegie Mellon University)
- Application to capture video to memory or disk using PC and Matrox Meteor (written using Visual C++). (by Ross Cutler / Computer Vision Lab / UMCP)
- Modular Flow Scheduling Middleware
- An open source, windows-based framework for developing programs with
good software engineering qualities. It has been used for developing real-time
Modular Flow Scheduling Middleware is an open source implementation of
a generic, modular, extensible software architecture for dataflow processing
of datastreams. It provides a framework for the implementation of algorithms
and development of applications with desirable software engineering qualities,
such as efficiency, scalability, extensibility, reusability, interoperability.
(Windows - VC++) (by Alexandre RJ Francois / IMSC / IRIS / University of Southern California)
- an image database system with query by image content capabilities.
- Real-time Head Tracking
- automatic real-time head-tracking in video images. ( vision pearls GbR)
- Renoir - 3D reconstruction from photos
- 3D reconstruction from photos. 3D photomontage. ($$ payware $$ - free
demo version available). Mainly useful for computer graphics, but uses some
computer vision techniques
Model of an object is created manually from parametric blocks. Corresponding
edges are marked on images and model. Camera and model parameters are reconstructed
through minimization of distance between projected edges of model and corresponding
edges, marked on photos. (by Ildar Valiev / Integra, Inc.)
- a video capture program used to capture uncompressed image sequences
using a PC configured with a 1 to 3 Bitflow RoadRunner digital frame grabbers.
(by Ross Cutler / Computer Vision Lab / University of Maryland)
- Verifinger - Fingerprint processing and recognition
- SDK for fingerprint processing and recognition ( Neurotechnologija Ltd.)
- Our software translates user's head motion into the motion of the cursor
on the screen, by processing the image from a web cam
- Zaxel 3D Imaging Systems
- Zaxel's 3D Imaging Systems create an infinite number of virtual cameras
around the object or moving subject from a limited number of real camera